Oh goodness, not a whole lot of time to write but I hope that I get everything written that I want to.
So, I left off in the MTC. On Saturday, we had the opportunity to go to Temple square and work with the sisters there. I was with an Albanian sister called, Sister Alma Osmeni. We had a good time around Temple Square and talked to a whole bunch of people. It wasn't what I expected but hey, I learned about what I don't want to do here in Mesa. I also ran into President and Sister Smith, Trason Lamb from Greenbrier (housing complex where she lived), and the sister of one of my missionaries roommates, Sister Plummer. So there were miracles there that night. It felt so strange to be leaving the MTC. but alas, it was fun. It was so cold that night, but silly me wore my knee length skirt and not my longer one. But I had fun and walked around a bit. Apparently only 5% of the sisters that go on missions get called to VC. Odd bit of trivia for you.
Elders Ilizaliturri and Kennedy left for Guadalajara on Monday. Triste! but they are doing good. I have heard from Kennedy at least. Actually, what really made my day one day in the VC, was running into Elder Ilizaliturri's and Elder Carter's families. At the same time. So I got a picture. But it was nice to talk to them for a while and see how life was at the MTC from Ilizaliturri's point of view. The poor kid was having a harder time with Elder Kennedy than we thought. I was so happy that I got to meet them. Sister McKenna was so mad that she wasn't there.
It snowed all day on Sunday, and when we left the MTC on Tuesday, it was 16 degrees. When we landed, it was 45. I like it. When I tell people I'm from SD they always say, "So this is summer for you huh?" Yep. That's the people from Mesa for you.
We arrived and were met by the the APs (assistants to the President) and President and Sister Ellsworth. Lots of fun. The address you should all use by the way for mailing me is the mission address. I live with a member so and mission office mail gets to the VC every day so I will get my mail. Anyway, We drove off to Scottsdale, dropped off our luggage and had a homemade lunch that was done by the senior couples around the area. We then separated with our companion for the day and I was with Sister Lopez from Bolivia. She is a sweetheart. she is about 3 inches shorter than me so it is a lot of fun. She is gentile and helps me out all the time. She calls the sisters at the VC harmanita. Cute stuff. So after a little bit of training we went with the sisters to the VC. And there, we jumped right into Christmas lights.
The next day we were back in Scottsdale for training and taking luggage home and actually meeting our comps. I am in a trio with Sisters Hernandez (of Mexico) and Cochran from Utah. Cochran leaves for home at the End of this month. Both are awesome and know their stuff. We live with a member and live above their garage. To picture the house, imagine the Mannings home and the Policky home put together. Yeah, i live in a mansion. So back to life at the VC.
Christmas lights are crazy. We have so many people go through a night. It actually amazing when I run into people that I actually know. Besides the elders parents, I have run into Hermano Escobar's companion from the MTC and some other people from South Dakota. but it is a lot of fun. Object of the game in the VC is to get Top Boxes (TB) and PMR (Potential Member Referrals) while helping everyone feel the spirit. So we introduce the movie Luke 2 (Christ's birth) and the Christus and help people around the nativities for all around the world. We also have a Book of Mormon table and God's plan for his Family presentation. We have concerts every night and of course the lights. Sounds like fun, right? Well, yes, it is, but it comes at a cost. And the cost is sleep. As a general rule, We don't get home until Midnight and up at 7:30. Life is slightly crazy during lights.
Well, as normal (I'm sure) I was quite shy to begin with. As the week has gone on, I have become less shy and more confident in my abilities. I am still having a hard time asking people for referrals and I avoid Spanish when at all possible. :) But things are getting better. Each night, their pair and English speaking sister with a Spanish speaking sister so both are covered if need be. I have so much fun. there are a couple of sisters that I just love being with (Brox and Everette) and they are so willing to help me and offer advice.
We have morning shift or evening shift. Morning shift is dead to the world. no one comes in. Yesterday we had a drunk passed out on the lawn and had to call security on him to get him to go away. We also have a code phrase for if a sister is feeling harassed in a situation (I need my bible) and other such fun things. So, when we don't have afternoon shift, we get to spend time in our area.
We have a few investigators that I'll tell you more about once I learn more about them. But so far, they have been coming to church and occasionally I can understand what we are talking about in the lessons. But really, all I'm good for (and do) is say the prayer. I am a part of the Citrus Heights stake in a little branch called Valencia. We share it with the full field sisters.
So that's most of my life. For now.
It's hard to write because there is so much stuff that I want to tell you but I can't remember it all. And I even wrote a little note of things that I wanted to tell you all. I love you!
Love,
Emily
No comments:
Post a Comment