Tuesday, March 29, 2011

End of March already?!

Hello my friends and Family!

I’m so glad to hear you all is getting snow while I am sitting pretty here around 80 degrees. Yes, we were making referral calls and Sister McKenna talked to mother. I hope you enjoyed that. So as for the doctors thing: I have had a problem breathing with my nose since I got ‘sick’ in the MTC so I finally (at hna mckennas request)  went to the doctor for that. They put me on antibiotics and a nasty nasal spray that will hopefully take care of it.

So last p-day we kinda had a hair cutting party over with Hnas Rodio and Vause. Sister Vause is a beautition and has missed not doing hair, so we went over. Hna McKenna got her hair cut and colored and I got a trim and some little bangs. The next morning we played soccer as a zone and then I remembered why I didn’t want bangs. But I still like it. So it was a lot of fun hanging out with them.

On Tuesday we had the RS celebration and that was a great success for the relief society. It was hilarious to watch a whole bunch of Hispanics dressed up as pioneers, doing a line dance. But President Smith gave a great talk about the importance of the sisters and how HF protects us as we live the gospel. So I enjoyed it. And so did Irma. She had a lot of fun meeting new people. They fed us alfredo pasta with chicken and that was awesome.

Wednesday was amazing because we finally had our transfer temple trip! We were able to go altogether as a zone, even tho there were quite a few of us that were sick and dying. Okay, not really, but they probably should have stayed home.

Thursday we had a district meeting where I gave a talk on forgiveness, which turned out awesome. Mainly because I had found out that our fellow Valencia Branch missionaries, Hnas Scott, McKinney and Withers, were going thru some hard times. Mainly because Hna Withers wants to be in brazil and thinks she knows how to do things best. Other talks that were given were about faith and temperance so it turned out to be just what they needed and they eventually had a good comp inventory. As for now, they are treading carefully around each other but have some sort of mutual agreement.

On Saturday we had an Easter Pageant meeting. The rehearsals are starting and so it was a whole bunch of fun watching people on stage dancing and practicing. The first part of the meeting was with the ZLs and VC sisters from Mesa Mission and the ZLs from the Tempi mission (somewhat interesting, because 8 or so years ago the Mesa mission was created and the pageant used to be their territory, so they feel they have rights to have a major part of it. That and Tempi missionaries wear the badge on the wrong side) and with all of the cast and crew. For the first hour or so they talked about the missionary aspect of the pageant and how all the cast and crew needed to work toward inviting people, answering questions, getting referrals and so on. It was pretty good and I’m getting dang excited for the pageant.

Not only did we have the meeting but we had a Baptism! Irma was baptized and it went awesome. A lot of the families that she cleans house for came and supported her and Bro Huish was able to baptize her. It was up in the air to see if it was going to happen or not because she has been sick. She was unable to go to her baptismal interview on Thursday so we had to do it Friday, and it took forever. But she passed and is so ready. She was so happy and touched by it all. If only we could get her home to Guatemala to be with her family. We had a good turn out from the ward for it being a Saturday night (it being a sore spot with Pres smith who wants to do it Sunday after church to have more attendance but Press Ellsworth says no so that they don’t have to wait a week to get confirmed.) but all went well.

So we had a pretty darn good week. We finally reached our goals for number of member present and other lessons as well as recent converts. It was so much fun. One family that we work a lot with went out with us together as a family Sunday night. We met a referral we had received from the ZLs and they were able to have a really good conversation about how the church has helped their lives (they joined 3 or so years ago). Hna Lupe Sanchez is awesome and has us over for dinner Tuesdays and Hno Emilio Sanchez has made a lot of changes in his life to be a member so they are awesome. They have a couple of boys and brought one with them Sunday night. His name is Max and he has selective mutisim. Therefore, he is pretty cute.

Last night we had a great FHE about the Armor of God. Hno Pimienta had a RM from Mexcio, Rocky, put on a whole bunch of I don’t know what, to protect him. Each person at FHE got a little ball. Hna McKenna and I were ‘angels’ to protect him (we had little tennis racquets). Hnos Duarte and Sanchez were devils that attacked. Eventually it got to the point where every member was to say something that the devil does to try and attack us, throw the ball at Rocky, and Hna McKenna and I were to block it. It was highly entertaining and I suggest that you all try it some time. There are a couple of videos on some members cameras that I’m going to work on getting to you all.

But over all we had a great time. Shocker of the week, Beatriz said she wanted to be baptized. We have been meeting with her not very consistently for the past 2 or so transfers and she has never come to church recently. She has been investigating for 2 or so years tho. Originally we planned to start from the beginning with her, but she asked us about God’s plan, seeing as there are so many things that are going on that aren’t too good. So we talked about that and about midway through the conversation she says something along the lines of ‘I wanted to be baptized into the mormon church…” and continued on talking. Hna McKenna got a word in and asked for clarification. She said yes she did, when could she do it. I asked “when?” and Hna McKenna says, how does April 9th sound? She agreed and so we now need to work with her. She has no teaching record so we need to give her all the lessons. Fun Stuff.

We finally met with Leo. We first started seeing him when I first came to mesa but we never worked hard to get him taught. So Hna McKenna and I talked about what he expected of our visits and how we could help him with his family (he now has a gf with 2 boys). We invited her to join us be she declined. But it went really well and he seems willing to give it a try. Leo is such a nice guy and he would be awesome if he worked for it.

We met a new family in Falcon Glen. It was  referral from the Elders and we caught them leaving Sunday night and the Sanchez talked to them. They have a way cute boy about a year old and they seem really nice. There are called Victor y Natalie and Byron. But they couldn’t come to the FHE but seem really interested.

Also on Sunday, we had a mission wide fast for the things that we needed help with in the mission: health, missionary work, members catching the spirit of missionary work and for the Lord to accept our obedience. It was awesome thinking that every other missionary in Mesa was fasting for the same purpose.

But other than that we have been doing good. I love you all a lot and hope you all continue to do great yourself. The bedroom looks wonderful!
Love emily

No comments:

Post a Comment