She writes:
"So, the first day we got here it was crazy. We really weren't told a lot of what we were supposed to do so we kinda were like sheep, going from one activity to the next. We were able to meet our teachers, Hermanos Escobar y Dela Cruz. They speak spanglish to us and are working to work themselves out of a job. We were able to get dinner (its cafateria food. I mean really, there isn't much in the way of nutrition. I end up eating salads more often then not because of they look better) and went to bed exhauseted. There are 4 sets of elders in the distric and 2 sets of sisters. However, one tested up in spanish so now we are a trio.
"My original companion is Hermana Jessica McKenna from Boise Idaho. She has graduated in Early childhood Special education. So she works with children 0-3 who have mental disibilities. We get along really well. We have matching personalities, except that she is nicer to people than I am. I love Hermana McKenna. She is going to Mesa with me. She is about 6 foot tall so I have to take 2 steps to her one.
"The other sister that I am now with is Hermana Hale. She is nice and deteremined. She has no experience with spanish so she is learning very well. She has attended 3 years at byu-i and is very, bubbily.
'My classes are quite intense. We learn the Gospel by speaking our mission language, which is really only an instrument used to communicate with those we are sent to serve. A lot of my spanish is coming back from high school. I know that really that is only possible with God's help. Not to be to proud or anything, but Hrma. McKenna and I are the best in our class. In every way. The teachers wanted to move us up into intermediate class yesterday because they thought we were so ready. Luckily, we were right in the middle and were able to stay in our beginners class. Yeah, we'er just that good."Our district has 4 sets of elders: Illizalituri and Kennedy, Carter and Sturggle (who went home today),- they are going to mexico, then there is Hammond and Naylor (going to ogden with hermana Hale, and then there is McLellan and Lane (aka Elders Icabod and Carril - Icabod for crazy long legs and lane is carril and spanish). They are going to Peru so they will leave in 2 weeks. Sad! They are the funnest out of the lot. Its a good thing that McKenna and I didn't go anywhere, otherwise there wouldn't be a district left. We end up having a quote wall. Mostly with McLellan on it. I am pretty good at distracting the elders and getting them talking. We made it a rule that if it didn't relate to the puropse of missionary work or leanring spanish then we had to talk in English."We have really bonded in the week that we've been here. It's amazing to see how much fun we can have while we all help each other. We have already practiced contacting in spanish and have started giving the 1st lesson in english. we are practicing feeling the spirit to recieve his help in finding scriptures to answer questions and problems that people are having in there life. It's good fun."Anyway, words of wisdom I have found for ya'll..."I've learned that if I am living righteously and worthily then 9 times out of 10 the thoughts that come into my head are from the Holy Ghost. Joseph Smith said that. Elder Holland said that When we are rushed or in a hurry we will never feel the Spirit. Therfore, do not rush a lesson. if you don't get to all your material that is fine. let the spirit direct what you should teach."I have also read through the 1st book of nephi. I'm learning so much more. I love having new scriptures to mark up, but I miss the familiarity of my old ones. I espeially liked chapter 17 in 1 nephi. YOu should read it and compare what Laman and Lemuel think they know to what Nephi tells them they do know. Interesting stuff."I can honestly say that I keep busy. I have a work out class at 6 in the morning and then have class, meal, class, meal, class, meal and more class. There is not a spare moment where we aren't practicing what we have learned or learning something new. Sorry for the spelling ro mixed ideas. I only have a half hour you know...
"Thank you for using dearelder towrite me. I wouldn't be able to check my email for a weekand then that would be stressful. I like getting mail too.
"OH, and there is an mtc rule that we aren't allowed to listen to music. I'm going through withdrawls...
"Peace out ya'll! Enjoy conference!!!
LOVE
Hermana BEU!
No comments:
Post a Comment