Monday, February 7, 2011

My first baptism!

Hello Family and Friends! 
President has now changed all P-days to Monday. Just so you know. But that really doesn’t affect me, because I am a VC sister and we have P-days whenever we need them. Being a VC sister does have its pros and cons. 
Let’s see. I’ve had a pretty darn good week, and the reason is: ADRIAN GOT BAPTIZED ON SATURDAY!!!! Yeah, that counts as a good week. Throughout the whole week, we were getting him ready for his interview, which was on Thursday. So before his interview, we took him to Modern Prophets at the VC and explained a little about Pres. Monson, he had is interview and was all set! Psych! We talked for him for about an hour after that. He just likes to talk. The kid is so funny.
It was his birthday on Friday. Hna Lopez had training all week so she was in Scottsdale the whole time, so Hna Hernandez and myself went and took what candy we had and stuck it to his door. We tried to be super quite about it too. I couldn’t help but laugh the whole time. We knocked on his door and ran and hid. We couldn’t see him come out, but he eventually found us. He thought it was us, but couldn’t see our car so he decided to go out and look for us. So we talked again for a while. We came home, talked to Hno Pimienta who got the program all set up and didn’t have to worry about anything else.
We get ready for the baptism, and Cristina calls us and she wants to go but doesn’t have a ride. We are kinda not all thrilled about her desires to go. Not that it’s bad, but that she really wants to get back with Adrian (more drama to follow). So we ‘can’t’ find a ride for her and go to the stake center. Hno Carlos Valencia is helping us out with Adrian. He just got off his mission 4 months ago from Colorado Springs. He’s a good guy. WE had gotten some cakes for his birthday and used them as dessert for the baptism. Only  4 members showed, Pimienta family, sick President Smith and a high councilman and the Stake President. And I got to play the piano. It was amazing service and it was a happy day! 



So that was the most exciting news. He got confirmed on Sunday, but we weren’t able to go because we had to be at the VC. Silly VC. As for the rest of the week, I’ve just had a lot of time at the VC. I’ve had some interesting conversations and some success. I talked for a long time with a guy named Jeff. He has lived in PHX for the past 7 years and is moving back to live with his mom in TN. He was just talking about how he was tired. Tired of life, of sadness, of alcohol and so on. He just wanted to rest. So I talked to him a bit and gave him a Book of Mormon. He’s an avid bible reader so I invited him to read that. He left today for TN so hopefully things go well for him. He seemed so lost.
I Top Boxed a couple of people this week. The first was named Rebecca. She said that her husband wanted to go back to church, so I helped her find the church she goes to. She was never baptized, so she had a lot of questions about sacrament and other things. I answered her the best I could and invited missionaries to come and explain more! And so that was cool.
The other one was in Spanish (I know, shocker). I was actually in the call center with Hnas Hernandez and Chacka and they were working together on something when Sister Brox pokes her head in and says, Can someone come speak Spanish? I looked at Hna Hernandez as if for her to go and she gives me that ‘you-know-you-can-speak-Spanish and get-your-butt-out-there’ look so I go. He wanted to know what the theaters were for and if he could watch a movie before he had to go to work in a half hour. So I say yeah and ask him what movie he wants to watch. He picks the Lamb of God. Okay. I ask him some more questions and find out he doesn’t know much about the church. He watches the movie and he said that he felt peaceful so I invited the missionaries and he was like, Yeah! And he stressed the importance of them coming back if he wasn’t at home because he worked a lot. Cute.
I also saw Jessica Gower the other day. She gave me a hug from Sarah. That was pretty cool. I also talked to a young man whose mission papers were rejected. He doesn’t know why but that he can’t serve a mission. I felt so bad for him because you could tell he wanted too. It’s surprising the number of people I have heard about that have been refused mission service. Odd.
I had a pretty good conversation with a Peruvian the other day. I had just ended the Joseph Smith Movie and he was really grateful for my testimony. He was baptized 4 years ago and was overwhelmed with joy he started crying. It was a nice talk about life and how the gospel helps us out. We switched from English to Spanish and it was fun.
In the call center, I have had some interesting conversations. One person got pretty mad that I call her, mainly because she has her own religion and said I should be looking for people who are lost. Well, I am, your name just happened to come up. So she was very unpleasant and not very polite about the whole thing. Occasionally I’ll get pretty cool ring-back tones, which means I listen to Babalonia every once in a while. My favorite has been the Rihanna and Eminem song Love the Way you lie.
It has been surprisingly cold this past week. At night we get down into the 30’s and in the day only up to the 50’s. I’m not fond of it.
Hna Lopez has had to go to the training this past week. Hna Hernandez said that she couldn’t come home if she didn’t have any mail. It worked! I got mail every day. I guess I get mail when I send someone up to Scottsdale to get it every day. 
We are now teaching a new family Part member and Less Active. They were referred by his mom so that was neat. They have 3 kids together and he said that they are ready to go back to church. So that was exciting. We hope to be able to meet with them more.
We haven’t been able to meet with Nancy and Manuel for a while, they are always sick. Mercedez’s daughter Beatriz is pregnant and ran off with her boyfriend. Refugio doesn’t know and so that is troublesome. Sigh. The decisions we make.
Cristina is getting herself into some trouble. Ricardo activated a phone for her, and she has been calling Adrian. Adrian gave her a ride to church yesterday and she really wants to get back with him. We still don’t know what he wants yet. He said he wanted some me time so hopefully he will stick with that. Ricardo came to church with a friend and was very upset that she had come to church with Adrian. She is feeling very discouraged because she can’t find a job and when we come over, we teach Ricardo and not her. So we’ve had to separate their lessons. Ricardo has stood us up twice at the VC. So we talked with Cristina about reading the scriptures and likening them to our lives. Silly girl! Just focus on yourself and you will be fine! You don’t need a man in your life right now! Ricardo is somewhat interested in the church. We gave him a date for the 19th and hopefully he will stick with it. Cristina is getting frustrated that everyone else can be baptized but not her.

This morning we wanted to do a zone activity and climb superstition mountain. At 3 in the morning. So we got up at 2:30 because we needed gas and wanted to get some treats to eat. And we get to the meeting place (MT View Stake center) at 3 when we are supposed to. We wait for 15 minutes for the DL and ZL to show up. We wait a half hour more for everyone else to show up. We then go to another stake center to meet another companionship that woke up late. And then everyone decided to go get gas and water. I was so mad, and so was elder Harral (ZL). So Hna Lopez and Hernandez were sufficiently irritated that they decided that they wanted to go home. I kinda wanted to hike but when your comps want to do something else, you go with them. Sadly, we leave everyone, and don’t know if they are even done yet with hiking.

So that’s my life this week! I love you all and hope you have a great week yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment