Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Happy Easter!

Hello everyone! I hope you all had a wonderful easter! From the looks of things it seems like it went pretty well. I would recommend that you all go to http://lds.org/church/news/mesa-easter-pageant-teaches-of-christ?lang=eng and watch the video. It’s pretty awesome. And you can see sister Brox. One of my favorites. But I have had a crazy busy week so let me begin to let you all know how it went.

Monday was P-day, the only p-Day we had with our entire zone. So what did we do, we played Marshmallow wars with Capture the Flag. How fun is that? Wicked fun! It was senior comps vs junior comps. We had a great playing field full of trees, cactus, and sand areas. It was a member’s backyard. Casulties: Sister Bingham fell into a wall, Sister Smith (a visa waiter who got her visa and leaves Thursday) was attacked by a tree, Sister Stevens fell asleep (she’s a narcoleptic), and I tripped over a cactus. So we had so fun. So sister Tanner patched us all up. Some of the elder’s didn’t play fair because they had longer ‘guns’ than the sisters (we just had the 2 foot PVC pipe). But it was all fun and games as we picked up the marshmallows after. Slightly disgusting. Sister Chaca would chew on them (or eat them) and then spit them at us.

Tuesday we had a visit from some of the high people in salt lake regarding Visitor centers. Elder Stephen B Allen was accompanied by 2 other men (whose names elude me) and they talked to us a lot about what we need to do as VC sisters. We are expected to do the same amount of work as FF missionaries in half the amount of time. So we have a lot of work to do. They spent a great deal of time telling us that we need to work on getting to know the people better in the front greet area before we just move them on to a presentation. We don’t spend enough time getting to know them. Instead we like to just shove them into the christus and have them listen to the narration. If you are a non member you are going to have no idea what we are talking about. So that was really good.

That night we had easter pageant and worked pretty hard. I have been able to be companions with Sister Dyer, Everrette, Brox, Hansen, Rosdhal and some other sisters. And it was a lot of fun. We were always able to watch the pageant and sister dyer and I had a few laughs. During the pageant the Jesus gets on a donkey to ride into Jerusalem but the Donkey was being a bum and not letting Christ on. So it was entertaining every once in a while.

On Wednesday we had Zone Development meeting, which was when we get to have an interview with President Ellsworth. The entire morning was spent on training and working on things that our zone leaders deem important. We practiced teaching people not lessons, talking to people normally and not like missionaries who jump to teaching things and asking heaven inspired questions. But the interview with President was pretty good. A lot of the time I talked to him about the frustration I had felt with the area and with my companions. We haven’t been able to work a lot because of Sister Chaca getting ready to leave, and Sister Dewitt’s surgery, the investigators that aren’t progressing. So a lot of what I am feeling is being held back for at least a little while. He said I was to learn patience. Yeah, I hadn’t figured that one out already. But it was a very productive interview.

Thursday sister Dewitt had her gall bladder removed. So she stayed with the member we lived with, sister Valentino. Sister Dewitt felt that it was the food that caused her gall bladder to putter out. So she has been out of commission for a little while. That night we spent in our area and set a baptismal date with Blanca, the friend of Irma. So that was a very productive night. We have a lot of work to do with her but we can do it. We also found someone new to teach, it was actually a referral from the English Sisters. Her name is Erika and she is looking for a religion. So we have work there.

On Saturday we had ‘glamour shots’ taken on the stage of the easter pageant. I had to wheel sister Dewitt up in a wheel chair. But it was so much fun jumping around, climbing to the top, and having pictures taken with all of the sisters. That morning as well, sister Valentino had put together an easter egg hunt for some of the sisters so we all went out and found the eggs that we had decorated the night before and some of the plastic eggs filled with candy, knee highs, and stamps. It was a good easter egg hunt.

Easter Sunday I was so exhausted and therefore grumpy, so I had to take a nap. It was a very laid back day because a lot of people are with their families and not too open. We had Easter dinner with sister Valentino. Afterwards, we went and said goodbye (sister chaca did) to one of our investigators. But before that we had a really good conversation with the teenage girl across the street who is Pentecostal but had gone to seminary last semester. She had read the book of mormon but she had a question she had never asked before because she didn’t want to seem dumb. Question: How do you know if it is true? Awesome question. So we talked about prayer and the Holy Ghost. She isn’t to the accepting missionaries point but it was a good stepping stone.

Monday was crazy. We had been trying to get sister Chaca packed for a long time. Apparently she brough half of Peru with her and was taking half of Arizona back with her. She was also taking home a suitcase full of candy for a missionary who is in her mission from his mom. Holy snap. So in total, she had four suitcases and a backpack full of stuff. A lot of stuff. So again, if I don’t get you a letter this week it is because I am cleaning up the after math of world war three in our apartment. I am overwhelmed with the amount of cleaning I have to do. And sister Dewitt can’t do anything to help me. I’m sorry! But it has to be done, I owe it to sister valentino. But we were able to get her packed and off to the mission home. It was a long night. We went with Sister Watrous (she had exchanges in Scottsdale) and we were trying to get sister Chaca to say shift. She can’t get the ‘ft’ noise right. And her English is getting worse and worse. She refuses to talk it or listen to it. So needless to say we accidentally got her to swear. But it was a great load of fun. Hopefully she will make it home with all of her stuff.

I was so exhausted. I have been trying to keep my area and companionship together and so I am more mentally exhausted from dealing with Sister Chaca than anything else. So hopefully this week we will work on getting sister Dewitt to come out into the area and get to work. So that was my crazy life! Hopefully I can now move into the apartment and not live out of my suitcase anymore.

Love you lots!

Love, emily

Sister Everett and I

The Garden Tomb

Sister Tejada and I


Me and the Whites

No comments:

Post a Comment