Sunday, May 15, 2011

Loved talking with our missionary!

Editor's note: We had a wonderful talk with Emily - she's doing well and is happy as a clam. 

Hello Everyone!

We, it was a wonderful week for me, mainly because I was able to talk to you all. I forgot my planner somewhere so hopefully I will remember all that I wanted to. Oh snap!

It’s hard sometimes because I just want to tell you so much but I can only write so fast. But that’s okay. This past week I have had the opportunity of working with two people that aren’t my companions. Hna Dewitt had a doctor’s appointment and after that she didn’t feel too well so I went out with hna Tejada who is from the domincan republic. She is the only member in her family and used to be a JW. She used to be so quiet and reserved. Now she is companions with Sister Dyer. You don’t stay shy for long with her. She has come a long ways.  Funny, huh. Anyway, we went and visited some of our investigators with her. It’s a lot easier to get into people’s homes when you have a native companion. Just saying. But that’s okay. The best part of the day was when we went over to Nidia’s home. They are getting married at the end of the month. But we caught him at home! He works all the time. So we quickly taught the gospel of Christ, and set a date with him! He understands the importance of being united on things. Granted his baptismal date isn’t until july but hey, we can work with that. As long as he has a goal.

Blanca came to church yesterday! She got off of work at 3 and wanted to go home and change but we told her to get her butt over to church – sacrament starts at 3 and we didn’t want her to miss that part of the meeting. So she came and she loves it. We had a really good lesson with her too last night. She is amazing. What’s really cute is that she and Irma, her kinda-a-mom to her, are going to the mother-daughter activity tonight at the church. Aww.

The next day I went out with Sister Cottrell. She is hilarious! She is from Utah and her companion is going home at the end of the transfer. She has pretty much stopped working and is driving sister Cottrell crazy! So we went out into her area and visited some of her people. During those two hours I was asked if I was from Spain twice and called Laura Ingalls Wilder. Sigh. We visited this one couple who literally hate each other and express it daily. That’s backwards. So we talked about making weaknesses strengths. Hint Hint. We also visited this family that is going thru a challenging time with CPS and some of her family. They are from Guam and I think the mom is just dissippointed in her life and the way her kids turned out. So I shared a scripture with her and it turns out it really helped her. Score one for the Spirit. The next day they were asking where ‘Laura’ was at. Haha.

In our dear little branch we are doing a little different version of the ’40 day fast’. Instead of doing it in 40 consecutive days, we are having 5 families on Saturday and Sunday so it will be 40 fasts. The reason we changed it was because a lot of the families work hard labor during the day and with 100 degrees outside that isn’t too wise. So Sunday was our day to start it off. We talked about it in RS and Juanito in PH. We got the schedule pretty much filled up. We have already seen the blessings from the fast. We are just doing so good this week. Things are starting to pick up in the area, and the zone pretty much (we have about 25 baptismal dates in the zone). Yay for missionary work!

I told you on the phone a little about the All-Star visitors. They haven’t come as much anymore and Gary is staying to himself so far. Sister Cottrell’s dad is a Private Investigator and so she has learned to take things into her hands before things get too crazy. I mean really, getting about $50 worth of fruit, candy and ice cream from someone who can’t pay child support is a  little odd. I’m with sister Cottrell on this and some of the sisters are thinking that we are being mean about informing security on them. Well, hello, let’s be aware of things and prevent things before they happen.

Sunday I had an interesting experience. A dad and his 3 kids came into the VC and wondered when the services were starting. Well, we aren’t a church but we can find one close to where you live… So we got that for them and they decided to stick around. The kids were 11 (not his but his GFs), 5 and 3. The girl went into the exhibit and sister Hartvigsen, the sweetheart, overloaded her with the pictures and their stories. I took the dad and kids through God’s plan for his family and then the art exhibit. Sister hartvigsen took forever and so I had to keep the kids entertained. We have a huge Book of Mormon with lots of pictures so I gave the picture version of the BOM and then did it again with the art exhinit photos. It was hard. Keep it simple and fast for little kids who have no attention span. The dad asked me about the temple and stuff like that. After they left I called the elders and let them know about it. Mainly because they didn’t top box but hey, we’ll get them one way or another. J

On Mother’s day we made a little card for our Mommy Valentino. Sweet lady.
 
PS. we got to go to the temple today! that automatically makes a day good.

Well, a lot has happened. We worked hard and accomplished a lot. I don’t remember much of anything else. Here are some pictures for you all to enjoy.


Well, yes, we had fun. I love you all and hope you have a great week




Sis. Brox and I jumping

No comments:

Post a Comment