I DID!
So today was like an epic week. I kinda feel bad for those who are only here for 3 weeks because at the end of our 9 weeks here, I felt that I have really been blessed and seen some awesome things the last couple of weeks that wouldn't have been possible if i wasn't here for that long of a time.
So to start off from Tuesday, We had Kevin W. Pearson of the 70 come and talk to us of the importance of becoming a disciple. There is a Neal A. Maxwell quote that I can't find that says something along the lines of "God only cares about my availability and when I show him my dependability he takes care of my capability." In order to become a disciple of Christ, we need to have agency, know our identity, have faith and use prayer. One of the biggest things that we as a district learned is that we need to let go of who we are to become who God knows we are. It was pretty darn good.
On Wednesday we had the opportunity of hosting again! this week, Hermanas McKenna, Hale and I had the opportunity to host 6 Japanese sisters, of which only 1 spoke fluent english. Can you see the disaster ahead? No, it really wasn't that bad. The only problem we had was that we accidentally lost only of their suitcases and so we wandered around the residence hall for about 10 minutes with the janitors help attempting to find it. It was found and we went on our merry way. We got them processed, their class room supplies and then to their class room. Along the way we taught each other English, Japanese and Spanish. They are dear sweet sisters. They are coming from Japan for 3 weeks and then headed back to Japan for their missions. Interesting, I thought...
The other sister I had was a bubbly new missionary that was headed to somewhere. She wasn't nearly as fun as the Japanese sisters but she was just as enthused. It was so much fun. I love seeing new missionaries. No missionaries are coming in this week because of the holidays. We are dropping in numbers!
Wednesday night, the Hermanas and I and Elders Carter and Davis (a left over from one of the other districts) had the opportunity of going in and demonstrating to the new missionaries on "how to begin teaching." If anyone has come to the MTC, they take the new missionaries into different room with someone who is going to or has set up an appointment with the missionaries. We were so scared! but it was so good. Door contacting (or contacting in general) is not our strongest point. Anyway, the first person we went and visited was a Hispanic man named Daniel. (this was all in english by the way, i had to switch gears fast) His girlfriend is a member and 'scheduled' a time for the missionaries to meet with him. So we got to talking to get to understand him better. Word on the street was that he wasn't very open to the missionaries. But amazingly for us, he opened up and we found out that he didn't believe in God because he didn't have a 'miracle' answered that he wanted a long time ago. That's when we were stopped and the new missionaries took over as to what his needs are, what they felt they should share with him and so on.
The next dude we go into talk to is called Stetson who lost a game of basketball and therefore won a chance to visit with the missionaries. So we talked to him about how blessings are based off of obedience and hard work. He was a nice fellow from Texas (and therefore talked as one) and we did a pretty good job of getting him to open up too. It was a lot of fun.
Afterward, we went to class with Hermano Dela Cruz and practiced Door contacting. Elders Telaroli and Emett have been added to our district as well (Peru mtc, waiting for visas) and so they were having the hardest time doing it right. We would switch up the companion ships to give people different opportunities to practice with different people. It was a kinda had to have been there moment but we were laughing all night.
We also received a new district. Half of them are headed to the Peru MTC, which is full so missionaries are having a hard time getting there, even tho they have their visas.
This was our last week together. It has been wonderful to see the miracles worked in our Elders' lives. Elder Hammond has become so strong and hopefully with still keep on going. Elder Naylor has come to be on fire about being a missionary and now wants to do this more than because he feels the duty to do so. Elder Naylor firmly believed that Elders Emett and Telaroli were kept back for three weeks because of him and said that they day after he left, they would get their visas and go to Peru. Elder Naylor, Hammond and Hermana Hale left at 10 yesterday morning. Guess what happened 4 PM yesterday? Elders Emett and Telaroli got their Visas. I love the MTC.
Elders Emett and Telaroli made our district complete. They are the funniest and sweetest missionaries ever. Telaroli is a huge football player and Emett is a clown that looks like a 7 year old. They are always making us laugh and work really hard to do the best they can. I am going to miss them!
Before Hemana Hale left, we had the opportunity of teaching Hermana McKenna. It was a great opportunity to do help her as her (instead of her role playing as an investigator). We had a great discussion (in Spanish) and helped her with what she needed. The week had seemed to be one of miracles and that was a theme in her life that week so we shared some awesome scripture with her and had a great time.
So I love you all. Enjoy your Thanksgiving. I have another p-day on Friday so will shoot off a quick email then. I start visitors center training on Wednesday and will hopefully have a great time. McKenna and I plan on speaking Spanish as much as we can so we don't forget anything.
Love you all and enjoy your holiday!
love,
me
No comments:
Post a Comment