So highlights from this week. hopefully I will be able to get them all down before i run out of time. yeah...
Anyway, Because of our frightening experiences before with attempting to get into devotionals, our Elders became men this week as they took our feelings into consideration. They did marvelous things. I'm so proud of them. first, they saved us seats near the front. second, they saved us a place in line where we waited for about an hour. third, in order to protect us from the swarm of missionaries, they formed a protective circle around us as the doors were opened. We weren't shoved, pushed, stepped on or trampled once thanks to our elders. aren't they amazing.
Our devotional speaker was (ready for this) Elder Bednar. Yep. 4 apostles in a row. I love the MTC. This week we learned about the basic framework for teaching. Which i have heard before actually but Its nice to have it re emphasized by an apostle. His address went something like this:
1. Doctrine is the truth revealed that pertains to eternal salvation. it answers the 'Why'. always focus on the doctrine.
2. Principle is a guideline that comes from doctrine. It answers the 'what'.
3. Application is the action of the principles. They answer the 'How'.
We need to always study with people's questions in mind as to what doctrine with help them live that principle. So the two things we always need to ask ourselves when studying is
1. What doctrine if understood with help them with this problem?
2. How can we help them understand the doctrine better?
and then he also spent a little time explaining how understanding is related to the heart (3 nephi 19:33). so in my personal studying I have noticed that a bit more and I'm attempting to 'understand' understanding better. it works, right?
This Wednesday i was also able to host. for those who don't know what hosting is, It is when new missionaries come and a missionary that has been at the MTC for forever and a half is able to take them to their room, drop off their luggage, get their books and supplies and take them to their classroom, while practicing how to be missionaries and talking to them. My companions (both of them) happened to be sick for that day (and the two days after that) so i did it by myself (hosts are allowed to be without a companion for a little while) Anyway, It was snowing a bit and I got to host 2 new sister missionaries. both are from Cali and both are going to the east coast. In the south. english speaking. So Atlanta Georgia and Raleigh North Carolina. They are good girls that will grow into awesome missionaries. I loved it because as I was walking around with the new sisters, i saw a lot of the elders in my zone and they shouted out 'hi's' and other things. i think I'm loved. :)
so my comps were sick. that meant that I sat outside our res hall room for 3 days as they slept. In the meantime, i finished the Book of Mormon. in less than 60 days, which was a goal of mine. I'm pretty pleased with myself. i got a lot of new insights that i hadn't gotten before and so it was an awesome day for me. i also read the pearl of great price, Joseph Smith-History and Joseph Smtih-Matt. Good days. now I'm onto the new testament and seeing what i can learn from that.
Oh, and Hermana hale, elders naylor and hammond head out to Ogden next week. Triste! but they are going to be great missionaries. All of them have stepped up to the plate and done amazing things in the past 8 weeks. i want to have a little district reunion after the mission to see what happened to everyone. That would be so sweet.
oh, this week, my companionship was selected to be examples for the new missionaries on Wednesday of 'how to begin teaching'. When new missionaries arrive, after dinner, they take them to different rooms as missionaries demonstrate how to begin teaching and then the new missionaries are supposed to pick it up from there. I remember being really tired but curious as to how they did that so it's cool to see that this week, the Hermanas and i get to be that example. we had to attend a training meeting for that. oh snap!
So yesterday I think was the best day of the MTC. It started with teaching a lady in the TRC From Guatemala and It made my day because we helped her as her, not as the recent convert she was portraying. she has a 5 kids, 3 of which have disabilities. so she really bonded with Mckenna (she works in special education) and so that was special. and i was able to understand all that she said. So that was great. It probably had a lot to do with the fact that hale prayed for the gift of interpretation of tongues.
Then Dela cruz pulled me aside and talked to me a bit about when the Hermanas and i taught his wife for a practice one day. to be honest i really don't remember much about teaching her but that I had a hard time understanding her. he asked me what I had learned and some more questions. i told him that i learned that she was a hard worker. that she felt that she needed to have more confidence in the Lord and that school was kinda stressing her out but she does what she can for their marriage and I could tell she loves him (they've been married 10 months and are the cutest thing on the planet. i swear). anyway, he told me that his wife (brenda) felt the spirit coming from me the most. and that she had never felt such sincerity from a missionary. any missionary that she has come in contact with. And she was baptized 12 years ago and she didn't even feel it with them. so he asked me whey i was so sincere. I was like, is this a trick question? I always care about the people I am talking to. i don't care if you have problems or in this case don't read your scriptures every day like you are supposed to. I just wanted her to know (and this is what i remember sharing with her) that we need to have faith in the lord and that he will help us accomplish our tasks. i gave her the scripture D&C 6:20 to read. So that was a confidence boost. dela cruz said that he was surprised that she said that she felt the spirit coming from me the most (gee thanks, but i can understand that, compared to hale and mckenna) but he also said that i short myself a lot and don't give myself credit of what I'm capable of doing. probably.
Beside that, elder Hammond became a hero and you can tell he has changed in amazing ways. one of the new districts is being slightly wordly focused and their teacher, Hermana lakip was haaving a hard time with them so she came in to talk to ilizaliturri and hammond about it (comp exchange, naylor was sick) and so hammond felt impressed to go talk to them now. it took him 10 minutes to get the courage to knock on their class room door but he did and shared alma 29:9 with them i think. So he was jsut awesome.
yeah, it was an amazing day yesterday.
Anyway, I'm off to the temple. love you lots and talk to you all later!
Love,
Hermana Beu
No comments:
Post a Comment